Friday, March 14, 2008

FAMILY TREE

My grandfather, Jose Leveriza I, was a doctor who earned his medical degree at the Tokyo University as a scholar. He spoke five languages and wrote a book about asthma in German. He confided to me that we descended from Levi of Ariza in Spain hence the name Leveriza. I paid no mind at that time until I got to New York City. I had no trouble getting into ISRAM (Israel American) inspite of my expired work permit. My first boss, Eli Milbauer, got one for me and said that he took me in because my name started with LEV. I am a devout Catholic and I'm not sure why but I get this nagging feeling that my roots came from the wrong side of Calvary.

When we pray I tell my kids not to hate the Jews so much because we might just be related. Their jaws drop and they stare at me in disbelief.

When I was all set to go back to Manila, my last boss, Robin Engel led me to a corner office above Mott St. in Chinatown and said it was mine if I stayed. I told him I had nothing to add to America as it was bursting with talent and wealth. There was nothing I could say about America that's not been said. There nothing I could write about America that's not been written. I demurred and said that I could contribute something in Manila to make it a better place.

I always told my children to live their lives like the lissome maiden and to decorate with their beauty and their best splendor the places on the planet where the earth is scorched.

No comments: